ZX Spectrum Emulator for Windows
First of all, thank you so much for your (and the missus’) fantastic work on Zero 🙂 – and secondly, how do I use the cheats ?
Thanks for your kind comments. If you mean the Pokes Helper, first thing you have to do is get the pokes for your game from WoS or The Tipshop (www.the-tipshop.co.uk). These files will have a .POK extension. Next, launch the game, then – depending on the game – either open the Pokes Helper just after starting the game (past the game menus etc) or on the games menu screen. When prompted, open the .POK file you just downloaded. This will apply the pokes in the file.
Let me know if you have any issues.
The pokes from The Tipshop are in the form of Multifaces. I’ve got another emulator (ZX32) where you just open the ‘Poke’ option and enter the necessary numbers for the cheats. And there doesn’t seem to be a .POK file from The Tipshop site. Is there any way for Zero to accept Multiface cheats ?
The Cheat Wizard only understand the .POK file currently. If you want to POKE the memory addresses directly, you can do so by using the Poke tool in the debugger/monitor. I will look at integrating a POKE option in the Cheat Wizard itself, so thanks for pointing that out.
I am using ZERO and for the most part I like it but I have a couple of issues that ahve come up and I’d like your advice on:
1) How do you get an underscore _ on ZERO? It follows the Spectrum map where underscore is achieved by pressing Symbol Shift and 0, unfortunately this is also the same command that shrinks the screen size for ZERO. is there another way to get the underscore character?
2) Could you perhaps have a slightly better labelling system on the tape deck. I’ve been creating a small library of games for friends to use who aren’t especially tech savvy (not that I am much) and would find the tape deck fiddly, especially when dealing with double sided tapes and multi-loads. If the specific sections of where the fist block and the second block and so on are it would be easier to know where to re-set the tape should it be required by the game.
3) I’ve noticed a small flaw in that you cannot select AY emulation in 48K mode and a joystick, its either one or the other. if I select AY emulation in 48K mode whatever joystick I’ve selected is de-selected and when I select that joystick the AY emulation is de-selected.
They are small niggles. I’d also like to see emulation for the Fuller box and Currah speech incorporated into ZERO if its possible.
Over all I do like ZERO and bar these small niggles I do recommend it to friends.
1) Doesn’t CTRL + 0 give you the underscore? It works on my machine. The screen resizing uses the ALT key.
2) The information regarding the tape comes entirely from the TZX, PZX, TAP etc file itself. The encoding scheme itself should encapsulate this information to some extent. Zero tries to extract standard information from the tape when it can, but by itself it doesn’t know which block belongs to which side or is part of a multi-load. Is there some specific tape file that I can take a look at?
3) What joystick type is causing this issue? All of them?
Glad you liked Zero! 🙂
1) Right tried CTRL + 0 and you are spot on so thanks for that good to know for future reference.
2) I can just about follow the blocks but for those less tech savvy than me (and tbh I’m not that savvy to begin with) I think would struggle. However I’ve found TR-DOS versions of the specific games I was finding fiddly so its worked out okay.
3) The AY for 48K mode doesnt seem to save at all regardless of which Joystick setting I use. it is odd.
Hi Arjen. I’m having a bit of a problem.
ZERO has loaded every game I’ve thrown at it. Ones that i got with another emulator and ones I’ve downloaded from worldofspectrum.org. Every game, regardless of format has worked perfectly.
However one game seems determined not to work, Super Trux. Whether it be the 48K or 128K version none of the files on worldofspectrum will load. Either it just refuses to load or it loads with a bad loading screen, the kind you used to get if the volume was slightly off on your tape deck when you loaded it in.
Do you know of this problem and do you have a version of Super Trux that works properly or even better a dsk or TR-DOS file for the game?
I could load SuperTux in if I turned off Auto Play/Stop in the Tape Browser. Note that if you do so, you will have to manually press “Play” on the tape deck to load the game. HTH
Such a strange idiosyncrasy for the game to have but yep, thats it working now.
Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:
You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. ( Log Out / Change )
You are commenting using your Twitter account. ( Log Out / Change )
You are commenting using your Facebook account. ( Log Out / Change )
You are commenting using your Google+ account. ( Log Out / Change )
Connecting to %s
Notify me of new comments via email.
Notify me of new posts via email.
Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.
Join 98 other followers